Sunday, February 05, 2006

Flowers of a sort

(Written February 4, 2006)
Punky is the word we've used to describe how we feel today, but gling glong is another good term. I believe it was off "That's My Boy" with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis where Jerry is asked how he feels and he says, "Gling Glong".
At least Emily seemed to be spared from the cold and only coughed a couple of times now and then. I didn't cough but was just good and plugged and now am blowing lots. Ben is teetering on the edge of it, and we are hoping enough Echinacea, vitamin c, selenium, vitamin e and vitamin b will keep it away. I have sure noticed the difference when we take them when we are exposed or think a cold is on its way. I haven't had a cold since we got married and this was the first time: 2 days is nothing to complain about though. Seems like my family is always sick and if I were them, I would start up a petition to get Aaron to stop his job at the hospital or at least stop bringing bugs home. :)
Emily is loud and squawky tonight and probably needs to go to bed. She didn't sleep long enough today and is in a “whaaaa ha ha ha ha” mood (starts with a wail and if you look at her she ends with a laugh). She is into pulling her cute little socks off and sticking her adorable toes in her mouth. Oh for her flexibility! (She definitely did not get it from her parents) She sure loves her jolly jumper and lounges in it constantly. She's figured out how to get it swinging and bounces forward and then lifts her feet up and lets it swing back or vice versa. I did get a couple pictures of her and if I haven't already posted them I'll post them today (that shows you how debilitated I am - I can't even remember what pictures I've posted ;)
And I remembered something I had forgotten. Abigail asked what a Happy Light is. A Happy Light is what Dave's store in Cavalier sells. Although he didn't know he sold them until we phoned up and asked if he had any "Happy Lights". It seems that his wife had suffered a bit of winter depression and several people recommended he try putting up full spectrum lighting where she worked. He put them up in the office etc and it made quite a difference - or so they both feel. So all the Stegmans (us included) were suffering the "holidays are over" blues and they decided to try some of these lights, coining the phrase “Happy Light”. They seem to help them so we picked up some full spectrum bulbs for down here, and while I am going to try using them to start my seeds and sprouts, I'll see if walking by or being in the room with them makes a difference. So far all I noticed was that the florescent bulbs were giving me a doozy of a headache . . .
Well, I guess I'd better quit as my mind is blank, my right ear is itchy, and my feet are cold.
Oh, I remembered something. This past Thursday I finally got everything from the spare room out onto the deck or into our tool shed. I had the floor clean, counters wiped, and was just tickled pink with the tidy place. It just so happened to be the day that Ben was supposed to take his S.O.A.P review from last year's course "intro to clinics" and go over it with the professor in charge of the class. Well, Thursday 1PM rolls around and Ben realizes he can't find his SOAP (acronym for subjective, objective, assessment, and plan - a way of keeping track of all the information that you deal with for a specific problem). So we tore apart the trailer looking for the 4 pages we both had seen the week before. Books were on the floor, binders pulled out of everywhere, couches pulled out but to no avail, as we did not find the SOAP in time. He found a penciled outline to take to the meeting and we all prayed the professor would accept it for correcting as he had yet to receive a grade for that class. She had already looked at the original, marked it and given it back to be reviewed and then brought back to her for discussion. I sat there and prayed and cried and finally when Emily went down for a nap I took myself outside to work on the greenhouse because the sad state in the trailer was depressing me. Ben came back with the joyful news that the professor had accepted it and been impressed with him having a penciled copy. So he did past last semester and we can move on - hopefully never to find that SOAP!
Benski tried making black pepper chicken like the King Buffet serves, but I think the outcome was properly described in his words, "I've given up on making Chinese food." It was good, but tasted like the fajitas I had made for lunch. And then he marinated it in soy sauce, and it was VERY strong soy flavour. I guess we'll just have to consider black pepper chicken a treat for when we can afford an occasional treat.
Franklet has decided it is time to try the occasional dash for freedom - the warm weather is not helping us convince him the trailer is the best place for him to live. He has made it out 3 times now and after calling for him in the dark the first night, I decided to dash after him when he makes it outside. I've learned to head for the path behind the trailer right away, as I can't ever catch him if he makes it there ahead of me. If he gets there first, he darts across the path and sits in the bushes where I can't reach him. How infuriating to have him sit only 5 feet out of my reach! So when he takes off, I run to the path and then parallel his movements so when he comes up to the path I reach down and snatch him. I'm sure he'll figure it out some day (maybe he'll get up more speed than a slow walk and beat me to the path), but for now I lock him in the spare room when the door is open letting in the spring sunshine.
Tia also has spring fever and wants to go play and walking during the day. Every time we get up from a chair she springs up like, "Are we going?" and we have to tell her to lie down again. It is rather annoying as she follows us around, begs constantly and stands with her nose down by the bottom of the door trying to get out. It's even worse when the cat sits at the door with her, both of their noses glued to the bottom of the door.
Now, don't get me wrong when you read the following. I have done my share of gardening - although my Mom was definitely the flower professional as attested to by her beautiful flower beds. But I DO know how to grow things and such. I have simply decided that I am going to find some lovely fake flowers for some of my planters. There, I've said it. Fake flowers. I don't eat them anyway, so why does it matter? Except that my pride rears up its ugly head and says that half the fun is watching the seedling grow into a gorgeous plant you’ve nurtured. And then common sense steps in and tells me that if I could actually watch the seedling grow into a gorgeous plant it might be more worth it. Instead it grows into a stunted plant that never flowers properly and looks pitiful besides the neighbor's lovely yard. I water it, tend it and even resorted to miracle grow last year and still didn't end up with anything similar to the picture on the little plastic card that comes with the plants. What's even worse is that the neighbor never fertilizes or anything and hers are beautiful. It must be in how she plants - her golden/green hands. I should ask to help her plant and see if all the plants I plant in her yard die. . . Well, now my feet are even colder and I finished all the popcorn I had made for our Saturday evening movie marathon. Maybe I'll give up on the movie and have a hot foot bath. ;)
Signing off Heather, Ben, Emily, Tia and Frank

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, thanks for explaining about the "Happy Lights" - I like the term! :-) Have you found them to be more successful by now?

BTW, thank you guys for coming to the funeral yesterday - and for the lasagna! We all sure appreciate your thoughtfulness and generosity. Wish we could have at least said hi (seemed like a shame to dash off to the graveside when so many had to leave directly after the service!), but hopefully we can get together another time. Invite yourselves over any time, okay? :-)

Enjoying your posts!
Abigail