Sunday, March 06, 2005

S/he moved! I think I may have lost about five years of my life. The other night heather and I were getting ready for bed- she was already under the covers, I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth. The house felt like it was about 25 degrees above zero (turn down the heat at night to save money), so heather had the electric blow dryer under the covers with her, a practice I was not terribly concerned about since the implement turns it's self off when it gets too hot. I was busily sudsing away in my oral cavity when I heard the dryer turn off, accompianied by a consternated sounding heather's "oh drat". I thought nothing of it until I heard one of the most peircing screams in my life... followed by all too dead silence. I dropped my toothbrush and ran to the bedroom with my heart in my throat, sure heather had electrocuted herself or something horrible. What scene should meet my eyes but her sweetness bent over double on the bed... laughing. With the epinephrine surge I had experienced shivering it's way through my body, I sat down on the bed and asked what on earth was going on... "I am sooo sorry for scaring you" (interrupted by uncontrollable paroxysms of mirth) "I thought someone had sneaked up beside the bed and poked me in the side"... yes indeed, our little one had made himself known (not that I know the baby's sex or anything, just tired of typing in gender neutrality). I just stared, willing my heart to slow down and my peripheral vasculature to dilate, allowing resumption of blood flow... I could just stare... then of course I had to feel ;^). What an amazing experience... It's one thing to know your wife is pregnant, quite another to feel tangible evidence of your child's presence. Amazing.
This is so exciting.

No comments: