Tuesday, March 30, 2004

The reasons why...

All truth is but rooted in wisdom, the light of the eye can't but see, though shrouded in myriad puzzle, the knowledge of God is to be. Ancients to age calls to answer, the brightness of that which is made, yet their eyes being blind, their feet go in kind, till the days of their liveliness fade.
Were evidence suddenly found lacking, were all of the truth proof denied, Were all of the thinkers left doubting, and everyone else mystified. If all signs were thoroughly silenced, the light of the years put to naught, still I would believe, for in faith now I see, is the basis for that which births thought.

I was thinking about philosophy again today... really, I don't have too much time on my hands... seriously, some days I feel like I meet myself coming and going. But anyhow, I've been reading a book by a man named William Lane Craig, its called "Reasonable Faith... Christian Truth and Apologetics". I've enjoyed the little I've read of it thus far, it's a bit heavy for bedtime reading- but I'm working my way along. Dr. Craig discusses some of the philosophy of Augustine and Aquinas, one thing particularly stood out that I had heard before. fides quarens intellectum or "faith seeking understanding". At first glance a great deal of truth may be overlooked here.
...I must admit, through my darkest moments of agnosticism- one of the major redeeming truths that my Lord revealed to me was this one fact... that Christianity is rational. When I was questioning, I was liberated through the realization that I could test the claims of Christianity, it was not some untouchable, improvable, untenable idea to be relegated to the confines of some sacred temple in the land of irrelevance... Christianity was and is real. You may be wondering right now why I'm bringing this seemingly obvious point, but it is nevertheless necessary to the next... there comes a point where the skeptic must be silenced and fall on his knees and repent. To me this is why so many skeptics remain thus... people inherently understand that to embrace the claims of Christianity is to accept it's profound implications on the way they live their lives. Thus, it is definitely true that some people can never be presented with "enough" evidence to facilitate their conversion. Truly we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ, but faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God... the point is, when sharing my faith with a skeptic, I must be congnisent of the fact that although I may have a perfectly flawless apologetic, although I may be absolutely ready to give an answer for the hope that lies within me, it is the work of the Holy Spirit to save souls, my words are but one of His tools. I required some of my doubts to be silenced before I could believe, but there did come a time when I had to simply believe... it almost seems to me like a fly wheel on an old style tractor, it took a couple spins for the engine to start running, but the manual spinning could only go on for so long... eventually it had to run on a power source other than the hand running the crank. In the same way, I may have needed more factual evidence for the claims of Christianity than many people, but at the same time- we are saved by faith, not by evidence. I praise God for His attention to detail... any unbiased observer of the evidence cannot help but render a response to the, as one of my favorite writers says, demand for a verdict. I've said this before, and I'll say it again- I serve a God that challenges believers to think and thinkers to believe... truly faith should be seeking understanding, not for maintenance of that faith, but for maturation of our witness.
To God be the Glory, great things He has done.
Grace and peace,
Ben

No comments: