Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Just another day in the life of Ben.

Whew what a day. Wednesdays are always fun- was up reaaaaaly late last night for various reasons. Then I had class at 9 and I was busy with school related activities until about 5:30 or so. Yes. Besides all this, I find myself remarkably rested and quite peaceful... I'm relaxing in my clean house, eating my supper of fresh seasoned hamburgers, listening to the sounds of evening outside through my open windows. It's still 65 degrees here... simply lovely. I do have to go participate in a study group soon, but thats ok. I'm listening to Nickel Creek at the moment, the soft strains of Chris's mandolin plinking out the melody of "reasons why". The Lord has really blessed me with a spirit of contentment lately, something for which I'd been praying for a long time. Its so easy for me to keep my eyes on the future, the problem with this is that I often miss the present at the same time. Yes I still can hardly wait for the day, if He wills, that the Lord sees fit to bring the one He's prepared to me, I still wait with great anticipation for the day when I hear the precious sounds of happy children playing and laughing to welcome me home. I still have the strong desire within me to get on with life... but I seem to have hit a "cruise" phase, where I'm content to wait and trust on the Lord to work on me as I continue to prepare for the next step in my life, whenever the Lord may present it to me. This actually brings up an interesting point I was thinking about in my devotions the other day. Proverbs 14:12-13 says;
"There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is heaviness."
The world would have us think that the ultimate goal of life is to be happy... but the pursuit of happiness is a fleeting one, true happiness and fulfillment is to be found only in the pursuit of God's will. Indeed, the journey should be half the fun if not more. To me this is the point of life... to learn to seek God's will not only in the long term, but in the short term- in my daily life, in my conversations, thoughts, and deeds. Thus, while, as I said, I can hardly wait for what God has next, I am content at the moment to learn what He has for me where He has me. I await His guidance with gratitude and expectation.

I still am working on the pictures from my trip as well as my post to go with them... patience, patience :^)

It's off to study for a while.
Have a lovely evening.
Grace and peace,
Ben

No comments: