Wednesday, February 04, 2004

I decided tonight that it had been altogether too long since I had updated my readership (I know you're out there because the counter keeps going up- are you all just shy? ;^) ). I've been incredibly busy since I last had time to post, mostly preparing for my first exam of the semester, which occured yesterday afternoon covering the rather broad subject of comparative anatomy. This has been an interesting semester for me thus far- many new experiences. I can say though that I've enjoyed the experiences I've had this semester more than I did at this point last fall. I think the reasons for this are multifaceted- in the first place, last fall I did not have the foggiest idea of what being a veterinary student was like- I didn't know how the classes would be, where the rooms were in the school (our school is notoriously difficult to navigate for newcomers), where I would fit in relative to the other students, etc etc etc. I had only just been introduced to the idea of owning a place of abode a few months earlier, I think I'm only just getting used to the concept now. Anyway, I can say with absolute certainty that my stress level was much higher then than now. This past year has been difficult for me in many ways- to a very real extent I've felt like I've aged more in the last year than I have in the last four combined. A huge factor in this was the fact that I no longer am able to go home every weekend- now granted during my undergrad years I worked every weekend and so didn't really spend very much time at home, I still had the weekly contact, not to mention the ability to participate in our home church meetings. Leaving all this was very hard for me at first- I still don't enjoy the separation, but if there's one thing this past year has forced me to do, it's to become closer to the Lord. I do appreciate this. It's interesting to notice that sometimes God can use physical change to be just the catalyst needed for spiritual change... I know this has been the case in my life. While the experience of having to leave the familier and head into the unknown alone is, at least for me, unpleasant, very uncomfortable, and downright scary at times, I've realized that the greater good that God can bring through these changes is bounded only by my willingness to learn what He has to teach me. How great is His faithfulness.

I spent most of the afternoon today freezing my nose off at my sheep rotation for my clinical foundations course- it was fun getting to be back in the country for a while, but boy was it difficult standing around discussing sheep medicine and production... my feet were fast becoming amnestic concerning feeling. It felt good when we were able to do more physical activity while performing exams and such. Oh the joys of living in the south (wink wink... lopsided grin... etc.).
Enough for tonight... it's off to bed for me. ~Ben

No comments: