Wednesday, January 21, 2004

It's blue... Its true ;^).
Better run on over to the main site and tell me what you think of the face lift. I of course am enthralled... to borrow the phrase, which in this case is entirely accurate...You Da MAN David :^).

I spent the afternoon out at the Ankeny dairy with my clinical foundations class, we had lots of fun learning how to do physical exams on dairy cows, collecting blood and urine samples, how to not (hopefully) get kicked... sigh... I remember again why I'm going into this business. I simply love vet medicine.

Yes I know that sounds sappy... but tis true nonetheless. :^D

I was amused to hear my Vet Immunology professor insert a little philosophical digression into his lecture on antigen antibody interactions... he was talking along about the basic structure of antibodies (IgG, for those of you who were wondering), when he stopped... got a funny look in his eye and launched into an altogether too lengthy commentary on how the antibody evolved. Can you believe it?

I almost asked him how he figured the animal survived while the antibody "evolved"... I'm sure he would have tried to give me some nonsense about the bacteria evolving at the same rate as the antibody... but of course this is bunk- if we truly believe in survival of the fittest, there must be something around to challenge the population, i.e. to kill off the "non-fit"... however, I would challenge anyone to explain to me how the structure of the antibody could ever have evolved while the animal was under challenge. Either the antibody is present and there is protection against the invader, or it isn't and the animal is susceptible. The same is true of any component of the immune system... so the argument that other defenses kept the animal safe falls on it's face right there. Wonderful little problem for macroevolution... that tricky subject of irreducible complexity... the whole thing has to be working in concert or the whole function is negated. Why is it so hard to just admit that there is an Intelligent Designer who cares and loved us so much that He sent His Son to die?! I know the answer to my own question... Permit me to quote:

"Our willingness to accept scientific claims that are against common sense is the key to an understanding of the real struggle between science and the supernatural. We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs, in spite of its failure to fulfill many of its extravagant promises of health and life, in spite of the tolerance of the scientific community for unsubstantiated just-so stories, because we have a prior commitment, a commitment to materialism. It is not that the methods and institutions of science somehow compel us to accept a material explanation of the phenomenal world, but, on the contrary, that we are forced by our a priori adherence to material causes to create an apparatus of investigation and a set of concepts that produce material explanations, no matter how counterintuitive, no matter how mystifying to the uninitiated. Moreover, that materialism is absolute, for we cannot allow a Divine Foot in the door."

- Evolutionist Richard Lewontin (as quoted on this website)

How succinct. Lets face the facts shall we?
Let the whole earth Praise Jesus for His truth that sets us free.
Grace and peace,
Ben

No comments: